I am not actively tracking any new/big projects at the Disneyland Resort... below are some recent projects from DCA that have finishing touches still going on and below that completed projects.
Recently Completed Projects:
- Disney's California Adventure Projects
In 2007 Disney announced an extreme makeover to California Adventure. This is a multi-year program to address many of the issues. The makeover started in the opening of Toy Story Mania in 2008 and will continue through the opening of Cars Land in 2012.
- Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
In October 2008 they opened a preview center called the Blue Sky Cellar that will feature a changing set of exhibits/concept art of the various phases of the parks makeover:
- Buena Vista Street & New Park Entrance (Through June 22, 2012) - Public opening June 15, 2012
Buena Vista Street show premieres and interior tour (6/14/12)
Buena Vista Street will be the new entrance and "Main Street"
for Disney California Adventure. In September 2010 walls went up around the Sun Icon in the Sunshine Plaza to start its removal.
- Cars Land (Through June 8, 2012) - Public opening June 15, 2012
Cars Land Premiere - June 13, 2012
Cars Land will be the last major piece of the Cars Land puzzle. It is slated to open in 2012 on the site of the former Timon parking lot. In May 2009 what we believe is prep work began on the site. (it appears to be the relocating of the tram route and some pipes). Also included are pictures of the models that were at the D23 Expo.
- Red Car Line (Through June 8, 2012) - Public opening June 15, 2012
The Red Cars will be making the journey up Buena Vista Street, into Hollywoodland, and out to the Tower of Terror. In January 2010 walls went up on the backlot as the first phase of construction on this new attraction begins.
- Disneyland Hotel Remodel (March 2, 2012) - Officially Completed January 20, 2012 (but finishing touches continued till March)
In March 2009 we spotted some paint samples and room tests for the Disneyland Hotel Remodel. In late 2009 they announced all the towers will be rennovated. In 2010 it was announced a new pool complex and waterslide would be taking over for the waterfalls and shops. Click here for the press release
- Disney Vacation Club - Hawaii (Through August 30, 2011) - Opened August 29, 2011
Disney's Hawaiian property is 21-acres on the western side of Oahu in the Ko Olina Resort area. The resort will include 250 hotel rooms and 480 DVC villas. Plus pictures of the resort model that was at the D23 Expo.
The Press Release from the Ground Breaking can be found here
For more information check out this posting in the Geek's Forum
- DCA Makeover Projects
- Paradise Pier Work - Paradie Gardens Dining Area & Goofy's Sky School (Officially Opened July 1, 2011)
I was not sure what to call this area, but it encompasses everything from the Little Mermaid project around to the parade gate. This includes the original Pizza Mow Mow, SS Rustworthy, Burger Invasion, and Mulholland Madness. In 2011 a new set of dining options and Goofys Sky School will be taking over the area. Also included are shots of the Corn Dog Castle and gift shop area.
- The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure (Official opened June 3, 2011)
The Little Mermaid dark ride is taking over much of the space from the old Bay's old restrooms, through Golden Dreams and toward the Souvineer stand. This is the narrow track of land that runs parallel to the new Grand Californian DVC wing. Construction walls went up in May 2009 as the project got under way.
- Opening Ceremony Pictures (June 2, 2011) - Pictures from the opening celebration including Jodi Benson, Alan Menken, and more. Here is a video of the show too.
- Ride Through (May 27, 2011) - The afternoon of Friday they 27th they opened the attraction for a general public preview/soft opening. I was at the park and here are pictures from this preview. I was able to ride three times and have combined the pictures. For a video of my first ride through click here
- Little Mermaid Construction (Through May 20, 2011) - Construction from demolition of the Golden Dreams building through the CM previews of the Little Mermaid attraction.
- Paradise Pier Work - Park (former Maliboomer site) (Through April 15, 2011 -- not sure if this is done or not... it appears no more work is going on)
In September 2010 walls went up around the Maliboomer attraction and removal started. The area will be converted into a park that is slated to open in Spring 2011. On April 1st the main walkway reopened revealing a good portion of the new park.
- World of Color -
Premiered Friday June 11, 2010. Below are three groupings of pictures as this show nears completion.
- World of Color Premiere (June 10, 2010) - The Premiere celebration including coverage of the Blue Carpet arrivials, the opening ceremony, and several shots from the show.
- World of Color Public Premiere (June 11, 2010) - Includes a look at the Carnival of Color and the first public showing of World of Color.
- World of Color Construction Summary (Through May 28, 2010) - A cliff note edition to the construction. The main construction one below is just over 2,900 pictures.. this version is a broader look at the work and is at just over 100 shots.
- Walt Disney's World of Color - Construction (Through May 28, 2010) - Slated to premiere on June 11, 2010
We start following this new night time lagoon show in 2007 with a sighting of some survey work and then some test equipment in the Bay at Disney's California Adventure.
- Walt Disney's World of Color - Testing (Through May 21, 2010) - Slated to premiere on June 11, 2010
As construction/installation nears completion this section takes a look at the test/adjust work that we have seen starting in December 2009 and continuing up until show opening.
- Paradise Pier Work - Orange Stinger Transformation to Silly Symphony Swings (Re-opened May 28, 2010)
In mid July 2009 the Orange Stinger was shut down in preparation for its transformation to the Silly Symphony Swings. In late 2008 through Spring 2009 you can see the preparation work at the base of the Orange peel.
- Drained Paradise Bay (Through November 21, 2008) - The Bay was refilled in November 2009.
Since I had so many pictures and they will impact many different projects, here is a look at the drained Paradise Bay. Including some before shots of the lagoon.
- Paradise Pier Work - Sun Wheel Transformation to Mickey's Fun Wheel
(Reopened May 4, 2009 includes shots of my first visit 5/15)
The first major phase will be a make-over to the Paradise Pier section of the park. The Sun Wheel closed in October 2008 and the Midway Games in November. Including some before shots of the Sun Wheel.
- Paradise Pier Work - Screamin (Through April 17, 2009 - Attraction is still open during the work so far - no work since then.)
In the Spring of 2009 the giant Mickey near the loop on California Screamin was removed to make way for a new sign. This phase was completed in April 2009.
- Paradise Pier Work - Midway Games to Games of the Boardwalk (Opened April 7, 2009)
The first major phase will be a make-over to the Paradise Pier section of the park. The Midway Games closed in November 2008 and reopened in April 2009. This section includes some before shots of the Midway games and then shots from my first visit to them on April 17, 2009
2010 (Re-opened May 8, 2010) - In January 2010 the Rivers were drained for routine upkeep.
2003 (Re-opened 4/18/03)- In early 2003 the Rivers of America were drained and
some rehab work performed. Here are some shots of
the river without water.
- Disneyland Before/After (Dates
A handful of before and After shots of some recent
- Grand Californian - Disney Vacation Club Expansion (Opened September 23, 2009)
We start following this yet to be announced expansion of the Grand Californian which will include a new wing with Disney Vacation Club units. Construction started in August 2007. In the March 26th update I have shots of the model rooms. For pictures of the opening ceremony and a tour click here For a Press Release of the opening click here
- Toy Story Mania (Opened June 17,2008 pictures through the Annual Pass Holders Preview on June 9, 2008)
Construction on this still unannounced attraction began in October 2006. With the official announcement coming on January 26, 2007 that the new attraction opened on June 17, 2008. (Click here to read the press release)
California Adventure Backlot Project (Through
December 25, 2005 - Completion)
This project started in the Fall of 2005 with a rennovation
of the courtyard in front of the soon to open Monsters
Inc attraction and the Muppet Vision Theater. Other
projects include a new sign on the Animation Building
and some general paint work going on in the area.
This project wrapped up and was open for the Christmas
week. Now we include some before and after shots in
- The Tower of Terror (Opened
May 5, 2004)
Tower opened on May 5, 2004 at Disney's California
Nemo Submarine Voyage (Opened June 11, 2007)
Announced July 15, 2005 Nemo and Friends will be
taking over the old Sub Lagoon in a new attraction
to open June 11, 2007. Following the construction
from the abandon lagoon of 2003 through the draining
in 2005 and construction till opening in 2007. Including the changes to the monorail platform and Autopia queue.
- Construction Shots
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Sub Testing (Last updated May 18, 2007)- To not clog up the progress shots with a lot of somewhat repetitive shots here is a section devoted to Sub testing.. you will see several shots of the subs going around the lagoon in various areas.
- My first visit to the subs (June 15, 2007) - This section includes shots of the queue, subs in the lagoon, and my first ride through. Many of these shots were featured in the June 15th Disneyland Update but there are a couple more in this section.
- King Arthur Carrousel (Re-opened
This Disneyland classic went down for a major refurbishment
in 2002. This series of shots shows the dismantling
- Tom Sawyer Island (Completed
pictures from 7/4/03)
The play area of the Island is still being re-done.
The bridges and front half of the Island are open.